Indoor Air Quality FAQs from Integrity Air Conditioning
Q: We just moved into an older home and my allergies are worse now. Could it be the ductwork?
Yes! Although you cannot see it, properly installed and correctly functioning ductwork is vitally important to the safe and efficient operation of your HVAC system or home air conditioning and furnace system.
- Deteriorating or broken air ducts increase allergies by circulating dust, dirt and insulation from the attic to the inside your home or office.
- In older homes, as the foundation shifts over the years – ductwork pulls away from joins and can break.
- Most older homes have several ductwork breaks and routinely lose conditioned air into the attic. And worse for allergies: air duct breaks usually result in attic air circulating into living spaces, bringing attic dust and particulates inside.
Q: What is SBS?
Sick Building Syndrome – sometimes called Building-Related Illness – is typically caused by indoor air pollution. This problem has become more acute because we spend more time indoors than in generations past, and because buildings tend to be more airtight. This allows air pollutants to become more concentrated. Inadequate or improper ventilation is often a factor in SBS, but many other factors can also be involved.
Q. What are VOCs?
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) are emitted as gases from certain solids or liquids. VOCs include a variety of chemicals, some of which may have short- and long-term adverse health effects. Concentrations of many VOCs are consistently higher indoors (up to ten times higher) than outdoors. VOCs are emitted by a wide array of products; numbering in the thousands.
Organic chemicals are widely used as ingredients in household products. Paints, varnishes and wax all contain organic solvents; as do many cleaning, disinfecting, cosmetic, degreasing and hobby products. Fuels are made up of organic chemicals. All of these products can release organic compounds while you are using them; and, to some degree, when they are stored.
Q: How can I limit exposure to harmful VOCs in our house?
Fortunately, many manufacturers of paints, finishes, furnishings and cleaning products now produce only no or low-VOC versions of their products. Pay attention to VOC labeling information when shopping and you shouldn’t have to worry about this IAQ factor.
Q: Our house is very dusty, even though we clean and dust frequently. Where is the dust coming from, and what can we do to clear the air?
Leaky ductwork in a crawl space or attic can suck dusty air from these areas into the air circulated through the living area by your forced-air HVAC system. Having your ductwork professionally sealed will cut off this dust supply. See Ductwork Sealing and Repair.
Q: My central air conditioning system can keep the house cool, but there’s still too much humidity indoors. What can we do to dry out the air?
If your HVAC contractor installed an oversize air conditioning system – it can cool too quickly; before the system has time to adequately remove humidity from the air. Longer run time is required to remove more moisture from the air. Most modern AC systems feature variable speed and feedback circuitry that moderates performance to optimize both cooling and de-humidification.
Q: We’ve never had standing water, but we’ve still got wet wallboard and flooring in certain parts of the house. We plan to replace the damaged material, but we’re worried about more mold in the future. What can be done to prevent mold from returning?
If sheetrock gets wet – it will rapidly mold. Wet sheetrock needs to be cut away and replaced asap.
Moisture creates microscopic pollutants. If you can see or smell mold, it means that microscopic spores are in the air you’re breathing. Some spores are more harmful than others. The best way to prevent mold is to keep organic materials (like sheetrock) dry.
Limit the use of organic materials (sheetrock, plywood floor sheathing, wood paneling, etc.) that will provide ideal mold habitats if they become damp. And schedule regular air conditioning maintenance – which will include checks of condensate drain pans and drain lines.
We have repaired incorrectly and totally clogged condensate drain lines. If water backs up and begins to overflow the drain line – drywall and even floors can be ruined from the resulting standing water. Even worse: this type of drain line clog is gradual and will not be evident until the drain water overflows, creates mold on wet drywall and begins to pool on floors. All of the drywall in the hall had to be replaced in the home of the photo above; as well as the wood flooring.
Integrity Air Conditioning – We Honestly Care For Your Comfort
Residential and Commercial – A/C, Heating, HVAC, Indoor Air Quality.
Dallas Family Owned, Family Operated Since 1999
Integrity Air Conditioning, LLC, is a Dallas area family owned and family operated HVAC Services company providing air conditioning, heating and indoor air quality services; residential and commercial HVAC.
Founded by Ben Green in 1999, we have continuously provided professional HVAC repairs and services to improve the comfort and energy efficiency of our clients’ homes, offices, churches and commercial facilities.
HVAC Service with Honesty and Integrity
Serving residents of the Dallas area, we provide fast, efficient HVAC service and install with honesty and integrity. Our certified and experienced HVAC techs do not ‘work on commission’.
We will never try to sell you something you do not need. If a new air conditioning or heating system replacement is needed – we evaluate your home or commercial facility and recommend the best options for your space – and your budget.
Integrity Air Conditioning is Here for You in the Dallas Area
Whether you need heating, air conditioning, healthy air quality or energy efficient insulation – Integrity Air Conditioning is here for you.
• Air Conditioning Repair – We work on all brands, Residential and Commercial.
• Heating Repair – We work on all brands, Residential and Commercial.
• Commercial HVAC Services – We work on all brands.
• 24/7 Emergency Service Available – Residential and Commercial.
• VIP Discounts Club – Semi-annual Maintenance Tune-ups, valuable free services plus discounts and repairs.
• Air Conditioning Maintenance – Reduce your energy bills by scheduling maintenance service for your A/C system.
• Heating Maintenance – Reduce your energy bills by scheduling maintenance service for your furnace.
• Central Air Conditioning and Mini-Splits – We install central units and mini-split air conditioners, all brands.
• Ductwork Repair and Sealing – Leaky ducts cause your money to escape as hot air; and can create hot and cold spots.
• Indoor Healthy Air and Air Quality – Breathe clean, healthy air indoors! North Texas allergies can be severe; breathe comfortably.
Integrity Air Conditioning – Contact Us
24/7 Emergency Service in the DFW Area.
No-Obligation, No-Risk, Free Estimate on New Installs